Sunday, September 02, 2007

I Love Stupid People-The Jim Hickmon Story

In days of old, when knights were bold, and toilets weren't invented... WAIT! Wrong story! Let's start again. Before I start, I will warn you, it is a long story.

Several years ago, I was a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. When they began a slide into whacko politics, some other sane people and I started a group to try to change the direction of the national organization. Our group was called "Save the SCV". Our mistake was thinking that they wanted to be saved from the whackos. Several years later, all that remains of Save the SCV is a website still operated by one of the co-founders, Walt Hilderman, and the junk mail from credit card companies that keeps filling my mailbox.

Monday evening, I opened my mail to find a letter from the Hickmon Law firm. Jim Hickmon was threatening to sue Walt Hilderman and myself for libel unless we removed something from the Save the SCV website. As I had no idea who Hickmon was, I read the proposed request for an injunction and his proposed lawsuit. He claims that we have libeled him by referring to him as a neo-secessionist and as a member of the League of the South. He disputed the accuracy of this.

I called Hickmon and explained to him in my usual charming manner that I did not own the website as he claimed, I did not have the access to post anything on the website, and didn't even know who he was. I then told him that I was going to wipe my ass with his lawsuit and mail it back to him. Incredibly enough, he hung up on me.

How stupid is Jim Hickmon?? Let's start with what I know. He's an attorney specializing in pension and retirement planning. He is listed as the Judge Advocate for the North Carolina Sons of Confederate Veterans, and according to the Southern Legal Resource Center's website, he was elected to their board of directors. Yet he claims that we have libeled him by referring to him as a neo-secessionist and a member of the League of the South.

In his "facts" listed in his proposed lawsuit, Hickmon claims that I am a resident of Rockingham County. He's wrong. He also claims that I own the website "Save the SCV". Wrong again! He claims that I wrote or caused to be published several articles. Still wrong! It's incredible that a guy wants to sue me for something on the Internet that he claims is wrong, but gets all his information about me from the Internet. What's the stupid factor in this??

Hickmon used to operate a website called "My Dixie Forever". You could e-mail him at gojimbo@mydixieforever. It's not operating anymore.

Hickmon says that he "is" not a member of the League of the South. Bad news Jimbo!! Clinton taught us all what the meaning of "is" is. Hickmon's statement does NOT mean that he has not BEEN a member of the League. Keep trying, Jimbo!

Despite his membership in the SCV, Hickmon claims that he has never condoned or advocated secession. I know the SCV well enough to know that the subject comes up often, if only raised by some whacko. If Jimbo was present when secession was mentioned, and failed to mention that the North Carolina Constitution prohibits secession, he has condoned it. Silence is consent, Jimbo! He belongs to the Ross Camp of the SCV in Charlotte. They removed the United States flag from their meetings a few years ago. Any chance of a neo-secessionist there?

Basically, it appears that his association with extremists is beginning to harm his business and he wants to blame others for it. So trying to sue me will either help his business or endear him to the other whackos in the SCV.

I received a letter from Jimbo the other day telling me that he would not remove me from his suit. He attached a printout listing my name as the website registrant. Apparently, in law school they don't explain the difference between registrant and owner or contributor.

I guess if he keeps threatening me, my choices are limited, I can start the official "Jim Hickmon is an idiot" website. I could sell t-shirts with "Jim Hickmon, Dumbass" on the front. Hell, if he wants to sue, I need to get my money's worth.

Or I could take the legal route. I will have to subpoena all of the officers of the SCV and question them in regards to secession. I will need to see his personal financial records to see if he has ever paid dues to the League of the South. I will have to ask for all material ever published on his My Dixie Forever website. I probably need to see all of his communications with the SLRC. Gosh, this could be fun!

I will keep you posted on future lawsuit developments.

1 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Clive said...

Mr. Jones, your blog rocks, and we agree on a lot. Would you kindly email me at fightintiger90@gmail.com?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home