Thursday, July 05, 2007

I love stupid people- The Holiday version

Last night at work, I was helping the cashier and rang up a sale. The total was $17.03. The customer, a woman in her late twenties, began looking through her purse. Another woman with her asked, "What do you need?" She responded, "I need 3 pennies." In a short time they had produced the 3 pennies. She handed them to me along with her debit card. I looked down at it and she said, " Oh! I guess that doesn't really make sense." I responded simply, "Don't worry, I can make it work. I just don't understand the thinking." They both giggled and waited while the card was processed. Too much sun? Too much holiday celebrating? Or just too much stupid?

Starting the Independence Day celebration early on July 1 was one of our busboys. He was walking around complaining about the station that he had been assigned for that day. I was sitting at a table talking to the person who claims to be my only friend, when the busboy and a waitress walked by. As they passed, he said loudly, "I may have to quit today!" He then continued on to the front of the restaurant. I excused myself from the table, walked to the front and told him, "I have heard all of your crap that I can take. Get out!" He started stammering something and I cut him off. "I don't want to hear anymore. Go clock out! Get Out!" He headed out. A few minutes later, I went to my car to get something. Someone had thrown a drink against the side, the drink had splattered over the windows and the cup was on the ground. My son and another employee came outside while I was there and looked at the mess. My son pointed out that the liquid was red and he had seen the busser get a cup of cranberry juice a little earlier. Employees are supposed to pay for juice and I knew that he had not. I told my son "So this guy steals a cup of juice and then throws it on my car when I fire him. He's too stupid to work here." This was confirmed about an hour later when the busser called to ask my son if I had actually fired him.

We require all employees to wear slip resistant, skid resistant shoes. Yesterday a cook slipped on a wet floor and landed on his back right beside me. I looked down and asked "Are you OK?" He responded that he was and I told him "You are supposed to wear slip resistant shoes and I don't believe that those loafers you have on are slip resistant." He told me that they were. Let's review this, you slip on a wet floor, you are on your back on the floor, your boss tells you that you are not wearing the correct shoes, and you try to deny it. I think that the denial would be more credible from an upright position.

Sometimes the frustration of dealing with difficult (stupid) people becomes too heavy a load for waiters and waitresses. As I reviewed guest checks yesterday, I found a voided check. Waiters and waitresses void checks when something is screwed up and they need to write another. They normally write a reason for the void. This check read "VOID- retards". Hey! I guess that I am not the only one with a story to tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home