Friday, November 25, 2016

Black Friday, Thursday??

I don't understand Black Friday. But Black Friday is low on my list of things that I don't understand.

Let's start with Daylight Saving Time. How does one "save" daylight? If you want to get off work an hour earlier in the summer, why not work out a deal with your employer to go in to work an hour earlier? Why do we all have to go through it?

Monday holidays? When I grew up Memorial Day, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday, and Columbus Day were all on certain dates. Now they are all on a Monday. It doesn't really matter, most people can't tell you why any of those days are celebrated anyway.

Now for Black Friday. Driven by the need to help China produce and sell goods, the retail powers have moved Black Friday to Thursday. Really?? First, this messes up the holiday for retail workers. Second, it affects businesses such as restaurants, that have traditionally enjoyed busy days on Black Friday. Nobody is out now on Friday. They were up late on "Black Friday Thursday", now they are sleeping late.

Maybe some large retailer will have the guts to break from the pack on Black Friday. What if just one large retailer starts advertising "Black Friday on Friday"? They could tell their customers to enjoy the holiday, visit with family and friends, and then come to the store at 7:00 AM on Friday.

The sad thing about all of these people whipping themselves into a frenzy about "Black Thursday Friday" is that there will still be plenty of sales before Christmas. Retailers want to sell it ALL by Christmas. If you don't buy it on "Black whatever Day", it will be on sale again before Christmas. You won't have to wait in line to buy it.

What did I do about this? I voted with my feet. First, I did not leave the house on Thanksgiving Day. Then today, I left the house at 7:30 to go to Lowes to pick up a new toilet fill valve and to see what they had on sale. When I got there, they had free donuts and coffee. I bought my $10 fill valve and then another $260 in Black Friday deals. I rewarded Lowes for being closed on the holiday. Thanks, guys!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home