Friday, June 03, 2011

Is it the Heat??

Thursday night, one of my employees suggested that the reason business was slow was the NBA finals were on television. I suggested that he stop and consider what our average customer looks like and then reconsider his theory. Our average evening customer is closer to my age than his and I didn't even know they were playing. So is it the Heat? No, last night it was the Mavs.

Thursday afternoon I had a milkshake from Chic-Fil-A. Before you ask, we don't have ice cream at Tex & Shirley's. It was really good. I enjoyed it to the last cold, creamy, sweet drop. Before all of you dieters ask, it wasn't a LoCal milkshake or was it?

From last week's post, "Does God Exist?", come a couple of updates. First, on Sunday my chest finally stopped hurting from that "love tap" that I took on Wednesday. Second, when the young man at the center of that discussion left Wednesday night to go home, I told him; "When you tell your mama about what happened tonight, tell her that I did everything that I could do to keep your ass in one piece. I don't know how many more days like this I have left in me."

I have had several comments about the "If the world ends today" post. Several questioned if anyone knows all of the people mentioned, other than me. My wife read it before I posted it and she knew a lot of the names, but not all. There are three names that fall into the "inside joke" category and only that person and I would understand. So if some of it didn't make sense, blame it on the heat.

I must be losing my touch. I had to fire someone twice the other day. First, I took the young man outside and explained that I was terminating him. After I finished, I started back inside. To my surprise, he followed me back inside. I turned around and asked where he was going. He said, "I'm going to work." My response, "Let's talk again!" I explained termination to him one more time. I think that the explanation worked that time. Is it the heat??

There has been much discussion at work about whether or not I have mellowed. Two people have been fired in six days, the discussion has been shelved.

On Wednesday, a customer and fellow Buffalo Church member shared a story with me. As close as I can determine, she saw a couple in church on Sunday. The woman didn't look like my wife, she was older, and the man didn't look like me. That's when she realized that I wasn't in church on Sunday. I'm sorry, but I don't think that it was the heat on this one.

Time to get to work. I am putting together a display for Father's Day at the restaurant. My marketing consultant is coming by on Sunday to grade it. I'm hoping to pass!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home