Monday, December 13, 2010

Colonial Christmas Concert

This is my Christmas gift to everyone who reads my blog regularly. I realize that I am pretty skimpy with praise for people. So today I am breaking the streak and going with some nice words.

One of our customers, who has a fear of becoming famous on my blog, invited me to attend the Colonial Christmas Concert at her church, Buffalo Presbyterian Church in Greensboro. I left work Sunday afternoon and drove to the church, debating all the way whether I wanted to watch a Christmas program after working all day. As I turned to go to the church, I saw someone I knew going into the church. Secure in the knowledge that there was at least one person in the church that I knew, I parked and went inside.

Buffalo is the oldest Presbyterian Church in Greensboro, it was founded in 1756. The ushers were in period dress as were several other people in the program. The lessons were presented by descendants of 18th and 19th century church members.They had both a children's choir and the adult choir participating. In keeping with the Colonial Christmas theme, there was a harpsichord present. The church also has a great pipe organ.

The music was great!! It was much better than I expected. I really enjoyed the program!! The choir did an excellent job. The sounds of the harpsichord reminded me of a musical performance that I had attended years ago in Williamsburg. The good news for those around me was that during the songs the congregation sang, all the other voices drowned out the sound of my voice.

After the program they had tons of good food at the reception in the Fellowship Hall. I had to leave before I could make much of a dent in the food. Next year, I will plan a little better.

If you live in the Greensboro area, go see this production next year!! My anonymous, fame-fearing friend told me that the Easter Hand bell choir program will be good. Easter's a big day at the restaurant, so you can go hear the hand bells without running into me at the church.

3 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

His words = My words and more! I expected unique and found complex and excellent. The first latin number set the bar very high and the rest followed suit. The conductor was clear the glue.... What a voice and what a smile. Costumes, settings all contributed...even to the wow factor candles lit throughout!

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gilbert,
I am the director of music at Buffalo Presbyterian (aka organist/harpsichord player) and was so happy to read your blog. I just want to let you and your readers know that our Christmas Eve service is at 5:00 and will feature much of the same music heard at the Colonial Christmas concert. Thanks again for your kind words. Pam

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was one of the singers at the concert and are thankful for your kind words to all who haven't heard of our small church. Hope to see you Christmas Eve!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home