Friday, March 22, 2024

Reflections on Aging

The dog woke me up at 4:30 this morning. She's getting old and didn't want to wait for the alarm clock that I never set to wake me up. So, I got up and we walked outside to take in the beauty and peace of the world at that moment. The moon is nearing the full stage, but that full moon is still a couple of days away. It reminded me that Easter is a few days away. For those unfamiliar with the date of Easter, Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. My grandfather was big on planting by the signs of the moon. He always told me that you plant potatoes on Good Friday. Bet you didn't expect a gardening tip today.

I tell people that I am not a terribly religious man, I am a Methodist. Important note, I am not a United Methodist. I tried Presbyterianism one time a few years ago. It didn't work out for me, but I guess that was predestined. If you don't get the humor in that, check a theology book.

This getting old shit isn't what it is cracked up to be. A few weeks ago, I had to have two crowns on my front teeth replaced. They have been there so long that I had forgotten that they were crowns. I have had them for over sixty years. The dentist told me that crowns don't last that long. Apparently, he was wrong. 

 When I was in the fifth grade at Alexander Elementary in Tampa, our class was walking down the exterior walkway, and the sixth graders were behind us. One of the sixth-grade boys ran up and shoved me into a steel support pole. I ended up with a concussion, a chip out of my skull, 15 stitches, two broken upper front teeth and a lower front tooth shoved back a little. He ended up being expelled for the remaining three months of the semester. This was in the old days of swift justice. He had been expelled before I made it to the hospital. I long for the days when the government understood the concept of "justice". Today, they would have spent months trying to understand the environmental factors affecting the little bastard's behavior for which he bore no responsibility. Today, people break laws because there are no consequences.

Yesterday, my wife and I spent an hour and a half at the attorney's office signing our new wills. There's a fun activity on a Thursday afternoon. Only a colonoscopy could have put me in a worse mood. But there was a bright side. We walked across the square in Graham and got frozen custard at Whit's. The flavor of the week was Almond Joy. It was great! I must have had a Biden moment with the frozen custard!! I was able to fight off the urge to sniff my wife's hair. 

I got a message from a friend who had read yesterday's post about the "Dis-United States" and asked if I was feeling okay. I assured him that I was okay, but that it is time that we stop kidding ourselves about our national situation. Zig Ziglar used to say that things might be going great right now, but "There's always trouble ahead." Our problem as a nation is that we are ignoring the obvious signs of trouble.

The federal government is acting in unison with some state and local governments to destroy Donald Trump's business and his life. Make no mistake about it! When Nathan Wade wasn't balling Fani Willis, he was meeting with the White House Counsel. Then he was billing the taxpayers for all of it. That's the great thing about lawyers, you don't have to make up any stories.

This is straight out of the Communist playbook, but the Democrats are all lying. As they drive America deeper into debt, they are crowing about what a great economy that we have. They are worse than ten-year-olds lying about something they just broke in your house. Are they all on drugs?

The big news out of Washington this week is that the Biden handlers have switched Joe from dress shoes to some kind of casual sporting shoe that looks more like he should be on a shuffleboard court at Del Webb's Sun City than trying to walk into the Oval Office. Memo to morons: It's not Joe's feet that we are worried about. A change in footwear is not a proven cure for dementia!

In the sixth grade, Miss Umstott told us that we should leave the world a better place than what we found. Apparently, Democrats have abandoned that concept. 

Hope springs eternal in the minds of the crazy. Our granddaughter is competing in the state finals of the Odyssey of the Mind competition being held at Wingate University on Saturday. We will be heading out early tomorrow to cheer on the Herd of Nerds!! Maybe these kids are the hope of our future?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home