Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Do you know this man??

On Sunday, July 1 we had our patriotic program at Buffalo Presbyterian Church. I was asked to do a speaking part in the program. My choices were to recite the Preamble to the Constitution or a portion of the Gettysburg Address. As a Southerner, that choice was a no-brainer. I took the Preamble.

The Preamble was easy. I had to learn it for a school play in the second grade and have known it since. If you are trying to do the math, that's more than 50 years. I attended one rehearsal just to find out when I was supposed to speak and then waited for Sunday. Buffalo has some colonial costumes available, but mine just didn't fit well. So my son William took a cassock and turned it into my coat. I have some military surplus pants and other items from the Colonial Fife and Drum Corps in Washington, D.C. So the pants were modified into knickers and I had a wig that fit my pumpkin-like head. I could not find my tri-cornered hat until the day after the performance, but I'll save it for Christmas or whenever I need to go 18th century again.

I haven't had hair on the top of my head in more than thirty years, so it was a new experience. It was an interesting morning. I had people at church who did not recognize me. After lunch at church I stopped by Tex & Shirley's. Jeff was on the phone when I walked in. He looked up and said "Ben Franklin just walked in." There were several employees who did not recognize me either. Note to self: Use this wig to commit any crimes that are on my to-do list. HA!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home