Friday, June 15, 2012

Redneck Island??

This started  last week when I e-mailed a friend and mentioned that I was watching the CMT awards and "I must be the only redneck in the world not in Nashville tonight." I received a reply that started "Homes, you have finally come clean." "Come clean?" I live in rural Caswell County. There is no urban Caswell County.  Do you think that there might be a redneck out here? But I digress, back to my story.

CMT kept running commercials for a couple of their shows "My Big Redneck Vacation" and the new "Redneck Island". This highlights a huge cultural gap in America. If you are a middle class, white Southerner, then it's okay for people to make fun of you. We even do it ourselves. Jeff Foxworthy has made a career of "You might be a redneck if". In this case, CMT is making fun of their own viewer base. Do you think that this is right?

Is BET (Black Entertainment Television) running a show called "My Big Negro Vacation"? Do they have "Homeboy Island" in the works somewhere?

Do you think that the Spanish language stations are showing "My Big Wetback Vacation"? Are there any islands in the Rio Grande big enough to use as a location for "Wetback Island"?

Is there any possibility that the Indian language network is running "Slurpee Island", a show about Indians trying to run a 7-11 in the South? Will Bombay Bob have to call a help center in West Virginia to get his store's computer going? Are they riding mechanical bulls in "My Big Hindu Vacation"? I doubt it.

Let's not leave the Arabs out of this. How about sending a bunch to California for some $5 a gallon gasoline in "My Big Raghead Vacation"? Put those guys on an island and they would find oil.

What's happening this week on "Asian Island"? Are the Chinese playing ping-pong on vacation? Or is it true that as a friend said, a nation of over a billion people that claims ping-pong is their favorite activity is lying.

What's the point of all of this? In America, we have forgotten how to take a joke. That  is unless you are watching "Redneck Island" and spotting family members.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home