Saturday, June 02, 2012

Am I on "Dallas"??

Wednesday morning I went to court in Greensboro as a witness in the "Bacon Grease bandits" case. More on that in another post. When I left court, I had a phone message from my wife telling me to get a newspaper. I did so and found an article about Tex & Shirley's on the front page of the "Savor" section.

The article started with:
The torch has been passed.

Bart Ortiz has taken over Tex and Shirley’s, the restaurant at 708 Pembroke Road in Greensboro that his father, Bartolo “Bart” Ortiz, owned and ran for more than 20 years.
Ortiz says his dad is busy running the High Point location, but running both restaurants had become a struggle. So Ortiz took over the iconic flagship location.

Imagine my reaction! I felt like Bobby in the old "Dallas" series. I woke up Wednesday morning to find that it had all been a dream! I had not run T&S at Friendly for twenty years. Wonder what I've been doing? Why am I so tired?

This reminds me of the history of the Stalin regime in the old Soviet Union. As people were purged, they would be removed from all of the photos in the historical records and their names would be removed from everything. It was like they never existed. My favorite was a photo of Stalin at a table with seven or eight guys in the late 1930's. By the time the war was over, all had been purged. There is a series of photographs that show them disappearing, one at a time, until only Stalin is in the picture.

I'm over being angry about it. My friends and family know the facts. And if you read this blog regularly, you know that I don't really care what anyone else thinks.
I'll write more about it in my book "Live from Tex & Shirley's!". Standup comedy act of the same name to follow.


2 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Anonymous texandshirleysemployee said...

http://www.news-record.com/content/2012/05/29/article/short_orders#nrcRgn_PgBody

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Ginger said...

We all know who ran Tex and Shirleys..

love ya,

Ginger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home