Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Today is Thanksgiving Day. The ham is glazed, the  topping is on the cheesecake and the rolls are going into the oven. In a few minutes, we will sit down for Thanksgiving dinner. Since I have not posted in a couple of weeks, I thought that this would be a good time to update my blog.

This has not been my best year, so what do I have to be thankful for today? Let's start at work. There are major changes coming at T&S in the next few months. My current job will cease to exist as I know it now. I will be able to stay if I will accept a position with less responsibilities and less authority. That all comes with a substantial reduction in salary. I doubt that I will stay under those conditions. So why be thankful? Over the last twenty years I have met some great people at work. Some are employees, some are customers and a few were salesmen for our suppliers. I have had some great learning experiences over the last twenty years. There have been more good times than bad ones. Overall, it's been a hell of a run!! I can get another job, they can't get another me.

Mom died three weeks ago. I am thankful that her suffering is over. I miss her badly. However, I am thankful for the 58 years that I had with her. A friend was only 12 or 13 when her mother died, so I guess that I'm pretty lucky that Mom lived as long as she did.

Saturday morning, we will gather at Philadelphia United Methodist Church in York for Mom's memorial service. Many years ago at First United Methodist Church in Tampa, the Reverend J. Gordon Ralls preached a sermon called "The Importance of Saying Goodbye". I am thankful that even today I remember that message. On Saturday, we will say goodbye to Mom so that we can go forward with our lives.

I started attending Buffalo Church almost a year ago. I am thankful that my life has regained some balance. Like many people, my spiritual life had fallen into a state of disrepair. It is better now.

From my friend Joel and his struggle with cancer to my current issues at work, I have come to appreciate the power of prayer.

I am thankful that my wife helps me with understanding our sons. I couldn't do that by myself. The boys are probably thankful also.

In the last year, I have discovered the value of friends. I am going to wrap this up with a "Thank You" to all of the following people for all that they have done for me.

Jesse Bledsoe- I'm making you earn that degree in pastoral counseling!
Jim Cox- Thanks for all of your help.
Wayne, Nancy, Ann, Joe, Clyda, Arlene, Sidney, Barbara, Mary Sue, Bill, Larry, Nancy, David and everyone else at Buffalo. Thanks for making me feel welcome.
Leo- Thanks for making my job easier.
Ginger- Thanks for caring.
Talmage- Thanks for your support.
Tom, Craig, Mary, Charlie, Betty, The Mikes, Peggy and Bobby, Anne and Charlie, Danny and several other customers- Thanks for being special customers.
Anna-  Thanks for being my "personal fashion advisor" and friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home