Saturday, July 09, 2011

What I learned this week

On Thursday afternoon I went to Harris Teeter to buy cupcakes for an employee's birthday. I picked up two packs of cupcakes priced at $4.79. There was a VIC price of $3.99 per pack, a savings of $.80 per pack. In addition, there was a $1.00 off coupon on each pack. Yes, I'm a little frugal. When I got to the register, the cashier rang it up and announced the total. The total sounded a little high, but I was in a hurry so I paid and got my change and receipt. As I walked away from the register, I realized that the price was not the VIC price. I walked over to the customer service counter. I pointed out the error and asked that they correct their error. To my surprise, they gave me all of my money back. It seems that their policy is that if an item does not ring up correctly, you get that item free. What a deal!! I walked in, bought two packs of cupcakes and got them free.

When I got home from work this afternoon, my wife gave me my mail. She asked what was in the small envelope. I opened it and told her that it was a "Thank You" note from Wayne at Buffalo Church. She responded that men don't write "Thank You" notes. She said that if he did it must have been because his wife stood over him and made him write it. When I showed her the note, she conceded that an old, Southern gentleman might have written a "Thank You" note. Sorry Wayne, that was the best that I could do for you.

She then asked if I had ever written a "Thank You" note. Having just recently learned to both walk upright without dragging my knuckles and not to scratch private parts in public, I didn't know what to say. I just mumbled and walked away. I will have to consult The Queen, my expert on etiquette, about this whole "Thank You" note thing. Thanks for the note, Wayne.

One of my employees returned to work after a week at Boy Scout Camp. One of the waitresses was giving him a hard time about going to camp and asked if he had made anything while he was there. He told her that he had made a tie-dyed "wifebeater" tee shirt. He brought it in the next day to show us. What happened to making something for your mother??

I am watching a show about Hitler on The History Channel while I write this. Based on the commercials running on this network, one might surmise that their viewers are mostly bald, impotent men looking for a new car. I just switched over to The Speed Channel.

The other day at the surplus store, I was trying to watch a movie. I had been trying for a couple of weeks and just couldn't find time. On the days that I had the time, I didn't have the focus. So I decided that on Wednesday I would watch the entire movie while at the store. After a couple of interruptions from people asking stupid questions and not buying anything, I locked the door. I turned the sign to "Closed" and sat down to watch my movie. Yes, I know that isn't a good business practice, but my goal was to watch the movie. What did I learn? I learned how to watch a movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home