Monday, April 11, 2011

What I Learned Today

Today was just another day filled with blogging opportunities at the restaurant.

Around 8:00 A.M., as I sat talking to one of my fellow gun nuts, a waiter walked up to the table. He announced, "I can't do this any more, I'm quitting." With that, he headed out the door.

Does God watch over grumpy old men? I hired a waitress last week who has been in training. Today was her last day of training. Tomorrow she replaces the young man who left to find himself. Here's a message for those considering a job change. It's easier to get one if you have one.

It's been 27 years since I last had this next incident happen, so I'm counting this as Continuing Education and not as learning.

A customer had ordered a boiled egg. We have prepared boiled eggs for salads, so we just put one into boiling water to heat it up. When the cook plated the egg, the waitress decided that it didn't appear to be hot enough. So she placed it into a coffee cup of water and put it into the microwave. After a short time, she put the egg back into the bowl and served it.

I was standing at the table, slightly behind Craig when his fork pierced the egg. It made the sound of a .22 caliber pistol as it exploded. Craig's wife, Mary, was across the table from him and received her share of the egg-splosion. The Lovely Loretta was standing by the table discussing Obama's birth certificate or lack of when the egg blew. She also suffered some collateral damage from the egg blast. Craig obviously took the brunt of the blast. Fleishman wants him to sue for a new suit, but we will try dry cleaning that coat first.

The good news for me was that no one got hurt. It could have been worse. I am grateful for understanding customers like Craig, Mary, and Loretta. We were still finding egg in odd places well into the afternoon. I sent out an e-mail this afternoon with the following message.

"Will 411 be remembered as the day the Boom Boom Boiled egg (eat at your own risk) was first served?? Or will it be the Eggsciting Day of the Eggsploding Boiled Egg??
At Tex and Shirley's, we're left with egg on our face, on our walls, on our ceiling, on our carpet, and on our clock."


The egg exploded as they were discussing Obama's birth certificate. Could it have been some left wing terrorist plot??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home