Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Death by cell phone?

This morning I decided to wait until daylight to go out and exercise. I slept a little later than usual since I have to work the evening shift.

I ran out about a mile and then turned and started walking back. About a quarter of a mile from home, I looked up and saw that a late model Crown Victoria was coming towards me. No problem, several cars, trucks, and even a school bus had driven by me already this morning. I follow all of the rules of the road. I walk or run facing traffic. I wear a high visibility reflective vest and if it's dark, I carry a flashlight.

As the car neared to within a hundred yards, I realized that the car was not going to move over to the center of the road as everyone else does. I moved over so that I was completely on the shoulder. I looked at the oncoming car and realized that she was on the phone and evidently had just seen me. At this point, everything seemed to go into slow motion. Her car swerved slightly but towards me instead of away from me. She ran off the edge of the road. Rather than wait for the impact, I dove into the ditch on the side of the road.

She drove a short distance and turned around and came back. By that time, I had pulled myself out the brush in the ditch and was standing on the side of the road. She got out of her car and may have been more upset than I was. I told her that I was okay, but suggested that she stay off of the ##@@%%***## cell phone. She apologized, got back in her car, and drove away. I took a quick inventory of body parts and realized that I could get back home. I walked home and sat down on the front steps. Other than a torn sweatshirt, I was in good shape. I sat there for several minutes until I realized that today wasn't my time to go. There must be people left for me to offend!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home