Saturday, February 26, 2011

What I Learned this week #2

I tell people that I learn something every day. Sometimes it is something that I may not have wanted to learn. This week was interesting, but every week is.

Sunday, I learned that it doesn't hurt to get input from others when making tough decisions. Thanks. I also learned that what you want to get out of your job at 57 is a lot different from what it was at 27.

Monday, I learned that there is some idiot calling himself Mr. Bernhart Smith running loose in Greensboro. Mr. Smith learned not to come into Tex & Shirley's and demand to speak to me.

Tuesday, I was reminded that there are two sides to everything. That ranges from who benefits from hiring new employees to who benefits when terminating employees.

Wednesday was a big day. Early in the morning I was reminded that sometimes you have to do something out of the ordinary to keep your spouse happy. In the evening, I was reminded that church groups have a tendency to be our worst behaving customers. Hey guys! Try to listen to the sermon next time.

Thursday, I learned to buy gas before work and not after work. You can never tell when the oil companies will decide to screw Americans. I also found out that employees who have been told not to smoke at work want to smoke more than they want to have a job.

Friday, I was reminded that there are some employees who may not be able to work anywhere if they don't work for me. I was also reminded that there are people who actually read this blog and enjoy it. Thanks.

Saturday, I found that stupid people visit military surplus stores as well as restaurants. I also learned that at 4:30 A.M., I'm the only one who is going to walk the dog.

As I was writing this, I thought of one of the greatest lessons in my life. In the early 1970's, I worked for Ed Wolfe at the Waffle House. Ed was married to a woman considerably younger than he. One day, for some unknown reason, we were discussing marriage and the relationship between men and women. Ed told me, "There are only two words that a man needs to know to get married, "I do". There are only two words that a man needs to know to stay married, "I'm sorry". You need to know three words to leave, "It's all yours"."

I didn't need any part of that lesson this week, but I wrote it down because I haven't thought about that conversation in years.

How was your week??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home