Wednesday, August 23, 2023

What Debate?

 Tonight, in Milwaukee they are holding what is alleged to be the first debate of the 2024 Presidential Election Season. I have no plans to watch the event. Why or why not? First, it's not really a debate. They aren't going to be arguing any principles, they will just be attacking each other. Why put a family argument on national television in prime time? I'm sorry, I forgot that it being broadcast by Fox.

This is the political equivalent of professional wrestling. They are going to attack each other for two hours and then meet for lunch tomorrow. That's how Washington works.

It's not even good television. Two hours of this will leave me longing for a Jerry Springer rerun.

Unless you are actively involved in hiring people, you won't realize or understand how the hiring process has evolved over the last fifty years. There are more questions that you can't ask during an interview than you can ask. In interviewing people who were actually seeking employment and didn't just need me to sign a form acknowledging that they had applied for a job, I always ended with this statement, "Tell me why I should hire you."

That's what I want to know about the candidates tonight. But that's not what's coming tonight. The candidates will all speak briefly about what they will do as President and then attack someone higher up the debate stage than them. Infighting is not a good sight. All you are doing is furnishing Democrats and their partners in the media with sound bites. If Republicans want to win as a team, we probably need to act like a team.

"Tell me why I should hire you." They need to give me their vision, not tell me that Chris Christie is an overweight buffoon or that the average American can't find North Dakota on a map and certainly doesn't know their governor. You won't get the job by telling me bad stuff about the other guys (and girls) who have applied. Plus, I have already heard most of those insults, if I have not already used them.

So, what should they do? The moderators should start with a simple statement. "Resolved: That Joe Biden or JRB Ware, is a demented, liberal, crooked politician whose administration is destroying the future of the United States.  Tell us what you would do as President of the United States to reverse the process of national self-destruction that Biden has put into place."  Then give each speaker ten minutes. When the last speaker has given their vision, the show is over. If you have a live audience, let them vote on who to hire. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home