Tuesday, August 08, 2023

PBSNC Snark Fest

A few weeks ago, I was watching television on a Saturday afternoon and strayed to the PBS NC Channel. The show on was State Lines. It was a knockoff of Front Row, which I later discovered had been cancelled for going too far to the right for PBS. The show followed a similar format as Front Row. It was the host, a Republican, A Democrat, a journalist, and a politics professor from Duke University. It was even duller than I anticipated.  At the end of the show, they asked for viewers to comment and assured folks that every e-mail would be read. 

So, incredibly enough, I sent an e-mail expressing my disappointment with the show. I offered a few suggestions on improving the show. I suggested that rather than using the same types of guests which are politicians, journalists, and alleged political experts and teachers, they change the makeup of the guests. I suggested that they find four or five people from around the state who could put a few sentences together and interview them. Why not get their opinions on politics in North Carolina?

I actually got a response the next day from PBSNC. I was told that they weren't interested in doing a town hall. I had not suggested a town hall, I had suggested four or five regular, non-office holding people. I also suggested they change the participants every month. The writer told me that it is difficult to get regular people to appear on a television show. I was told that they are based in Wake County and that is the center of politics in North Carolina. I was told to let them know if I found a show that met my expectations, and they would look at it.

If you have already guessed that I went into Rapid Response mode, you are correct. I explained that 88% of the North Carolina population lives somewhere other than Wake County. I ranted on, "I will remind you that as PBSNC, you are charged with serving ALL of North Carolina. All 100 counties in the state hold elections. To believe that the only politics that matter are those in your center of operations is the height of arrogance. As Tip O'Neill was famous for saying, 'All politics are local'." 

I had told him in my first note that I was tired of hearing from the rulers, I want to hear from the ruled. I have seen scores of politicians talk about what a great thing the new Toyota battery plant in Liberty is going to be. Have you seen a show where they interview the people who lost their property to the state for the roads needed for the plant? I am willing to bet they don't think the battery plant is a great thing. Just a quick thought on that plant. We are building a battery plant for a foreign company which is going to have to import materials from foreign countries to build batteries to sell us here in the United States. What could possibly go wrong?

I am stunned that PBSNC is so contemptuous of everyday people that they don't think that they can find four or five reasonably intelligent people in a state with a population of ten million. I am going out on a limb here, but I think they are afraid that regular folks won't go along with the politicians. WOW!! Fear of free thought??

Why not have some television shows where they talk to real citizens about how government is working? Do we have to wait for town halls during elections? Can't the network supported by taxes and donations from the public air a couple of shows where average people air their views and grievances? Why is the government afraid of hearing from the public? Why isn't public television listening to the public?

PBS is a bastion of leftists from the news to the programming. If you have ever seen a favorable show about Donald Trump on PBS, send word immediately. The folks at PBS couldn't find the middle of the road if you painted the white lines on their asses. 

Let's end government funding of PBS. That which deserves to survive, does. 






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home