Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Today is Thanksgiving Day, 2012. A lot has changed since this time last year.

I started a new job seven weeks ago and it has been an interesting time. I have been asked by several people what it is like to start all over again this late in life. I'll let you know when I figure that one out.

We have a new granddaughter, she will be a year old in a few weeks. I have posted pictures of Alice on this blog, so if you haven't seen her, it's your fault!

It's been a year since Mom died. There are days that it is still a little tough to handle.

Last week, Ronnie G. Wilson, former head of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, was sentenced to 19 1/2 years in prison for operating a $90 million Ponzi scheme. This is the guy who accused me of "conduct unbecoming a gentleman". The photo of him leaving the Federal Courthouse in handcuffs and shackles made all of the waiting worthwhile.

Last month I was elected as an elder at Buffalo Presbyterian Church. I start in that position in January.  If you are one of those stunned by that news, don't worry. You have company.

The election didn't go the way I wanted, but we will survive. H.L. Mencken is remembered for saying something like, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

The turkey is in the oven, the peanut butter pies are in the refrigerator, there's nothing left to do but sit here and ponder the meaning of life.

I wonder why people are all obsessed with Black Friday and getting the best deals for Christmas gifts. Many of those people are celebrating a holiday for a religion that they don't practice. Do you think that there will be a line of people waiting to get in at the church doors on Christmas Eve??

Last Sunday at church, I pointed out that our culture and our nation are undergoing a sea change. If we want our values to prevail, we need to get our message out. I can't change the world, but I can change my little corner of the world. Time to get busy on that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home