Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Moultrie and more

 I returned from my annual expedition to the Moultrie Car Show and Swap Meet late Monday. Moultrie used to be in South Georgia, it now appears to be in North Mexico. There are more Mexican restaurants in Moultrie than Waffle Houses. More kids are taking Spanish in school than English.  The height of the average adult has declined by two inches. By now, even the slow among you, usually liberals, get the picture.

I saw Biden bragging about his deal with the Chinese last week. He claims that they are going to stop or at least reduce their exports of "pill presses". He believes that this will help stop the flow of fentanyl into our country. If you think that banning "pill presses" will stop the consumption of fentanyl by teenagers, let's go ahead and ban the production of shot glasses to keep teens from consuming alcohol. It's obviously the same reasoning process, right?

At the car show on Saturday, someone pointed out that the attendance was the best since before Covid. I'm so old that I remember when B.C. stood for "Before Christ" not "Before Covid". Liberals are rushing to remake calendars to accommodate this change.

Not many teens attend car shows anymore. They aren't interested in doing any work on their cars that doesn't include thousands of lights, scores of speakers, and wheels so big that I am reminded of a "Paddle Wheeler" from a Mark Twain story. They don't care if the car really runs as long as they can get to a parking lot to smoke crack and listen to something they claim is music at about 130 decibels. Yeah, I'm not too optimistic on this generation. All of this while they try to decide if they are a man or a woman. As if that is their decision to make.

The media was excited about some food items costing less this year than last Thanksgiving. It's kind of like bragging about $3 gas because it was $4 last year. No one talks about how prices today compare to 2019. A guy at the car show told me that he wanted $2 gas and $1 eggs. I told him that he could get those prices, but not in the units that he was accustomed to getting. It took me ten minutes to explain that statement to him. Memo to self: Don't use that line again.

There is a small chain of BBQ restaurants in South Georgia called Hog-n-Bones. I stopped there one morning for breakfast and had the three-meat biscuit. It had ham, bacon and sausage in it.  I didn't have any chest pains later, so I am assuming that my heart is in better shape than previously believed.  If you can't find Hog-N-Bones in Tifton, it's on US 82 across the road and east a couple of hundred yards from Chapos Tequilas and Grill. Go back and read my first paragraph.

How conservative are the real locals in South Georgia?  The car show is held at Spence Field. In WW2 and later, Spence Field was a training base for the Army and later, the Air Force. There is no longer a military presence there, but there is a small airport. On Friday afternoon a private jet was taking off and I looked up to see what the noise was. An old guy standing a few feet away pointed and said, "There's a private jet. Who knew that John Kerry was here at the car show?" 

On Saturday afternoon, an old Huey helicopter flew over the show and landed at the field. I was not in a position to see who got out of the Huey, but I am left to assume that it belonged to the local militia. 

How bad is inflation? This year at events I have attended, we have entered the era of the $10 funnel cake. Moultrie was no exception. Thank you, Joe Biden!! However, I travel with my best girl, Little Debbie, to keep me from blowing $10 on something that I probably should not eat anyway. Of course, there may have been less carbs in that funnel cake than in the Little Debbie Peanut Butter Creme Pie. 

There were some great cars there in Moultrie. I saw an Edsel station wagon. First, a disclaimer that my vision is color deficient. Determining shades of color is not my strong suit. I was talking to another vendor about the Edsel. I described it as being "puke green". He laughed and said, "No, that is mint green." I replied with, "They must have puked those mints." He just walked away shaking his head.

I headed back home on Monday morning with the obligatory stop at Buc-ees in Warner Robbins. A beef brisket sandwich, some air-dried sausage, a pound of beef jerky, and a few other items provided enough snacks to get me home and through the holiday weekend. I will restart that diet on Monday.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home