Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Ten years and counting

Yesterday was the tenth anniversary of this blog.

I have written more than 450 posts. In the last three years, I have not written much. Working at my new job has taken a lot of my energy. In a few months, I am taking early retirement at age 62. I hope to resume writing on a more regular basis.

What do I hope to accomplish by retiring early? First, I am trying to work on my personal health. I have spent the last 45 years working between 60 and 80 hours a week. I am just worn out. I have had Two 2 diabetes for the past 15 years and all of the treats that accompany that disease are starting to wear on me. It's tough to mange a restaurant and control diabetes. I am trying to manage my stress level before I have a heart attack. Second, I am trying to manage my mental health better. Having wrestled with attention deficit, hyperactivity and depression since childhood has left me exhausted. I need a change.

Beyond those things, I have about a 50 year list of projects that I want to do. There are lots of things that I want to do and a few places that I want to go. I was talking to a customer about this a few weeks ago and he said, "You remind me of my father a few years ago when he retired. Someone told him, "You are an old man ready to take it easy now." My dad said, "No, I am an old man just getting started."

I will keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home