Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Happy Halloween!!

This is for  my Leto High School  friends who attended Alexander Elementary with me. Halloween is the anniversary of my first concussion. At Alexander, we used to make paper hats in class and have a "Hat Parade" around the school for Halloween. In 1963, I was in Miss Waterhouse's class in the fifth grade.

When our class walked out of the room to join the parade, I was one of the last people out the door. As we started down the walkway, a class of sixth graders came out of their room behind us. There were several boys in the front of their group. A couple of boys in the group yelled something. I paid no attention, as "bullying" did not exist before millennials were born. Someone came up and pushed me into one of the steel poles that supported the roof over the walkway. How hard did they push me? There is still a small chip out of my skull beneath the scar. Anyway, with my head lacerated, I stumbled into the first open class room door. I remember seeing a female teacher, who apparently had never seen a boy with blood all over his face, and she started screaming.

When I awoke, I was on a couch in the school office with Mr. Raines, the principal, and my mother looking down at me. After a few minutes, she took me to the hospital where they stitched up my head and told her that I had a concussion. That's a tough way to get an extra three days off from school.

What's the moral of the story? The first is that the guy who I think pushed me died several years ago.
That took one shot off my "bucket list". The second is that I never did another Halloween parade.

Happy Halloween!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home