Thursday, January 03, 2013

Do What??

I'm not sure if it's a new trend or maybe I'm just late spotting it, but when did people change the way they order food in restaurants?

In my new job, I am constantly listening to customers placing their orders for food. My first thought on the matter is that the average IQ in America is taking a dive. Every day someone comes and says something like, "I'll have the number five." You then have to explain that our meal choices are not numbered and then you must try to determine what they actually want. These folks can't read a menu, but are allowed to vote. More on that another day.

Here's what irritates me the most. It's people "doing" food. Yes, "doing" food. I have been in this business for forty five years and this is the latest trend in stupidity. For more than forty years, I have listened to people order meals. "I will order the .....", "I will take the...", "I'll have the...", "I want the..." were all common ways to order your meal. Now, they are all "doing" food. "I'll do the french fries." "I'll do the two piece chicken." "I'll do the burrito."  It even extends to condiment and drink requests. "I'll do the honey mustard." "I'll do the Diet Coke." Or the ultimate in ordering stupidity, "I'll do the number five."

Maybe I'm just old or set in my ways, or maybe I'm old and set in my ways, but "doing" has a different meaning in my world. Must be that child of the 50's and 60's thing!

So the next time that you are in a restaurant, don't "DO" your food. Please!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home