Sunday, August 07, 2005

Coca-Cola

Coca-Cola, the champagne of the South. As a friend says, I would rather drink a warm, stale Coca-Cola than an ice cold Pepsi. I don't drink coffee or tea, I get my caffeine the way God intended, Coca-Cola. Actually, I used to get my caffeine from Coca-Cola, now I just do without caffeine.

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I drank my last Coca-Cola the night before my screening for diabetes. If I had known, I would have had the 2 liter bottle that night. Anyway, I haven't drank one since.

People ask me if I miss soft drinks. My response is usually the same, "It was a hell of a run while it lasted." After thirty years in the restaurant business, I figure that I had just reached my limit. Most restaurants let employees drink all the coffee, tea, and soft drinks that they want. I probably averaged drinking about a gallon and a half a day of Coca-Cola. That's right, 1.5 gallons, 6 quarts, 12 pints, however you want to put it. Of course, that didn't include those I drank at home or on the way home. By now anyone reading this is thinking, What the hell took so long for the diabetes? I am not a doctor, I don't even play one on TV, you will need to ask someone else.

Why I am writing all this? Today after mowing the yard, I had an incredible craving for a Coke. I used to kill a 2 liter bottle after mowing. Relax, I drank a liter bottle of water instead. I had kind of figured that the urge would fade. It may fade, but it doesn't go away.

How much do I like Coca-Cola? I told my wife that if I am ever in the hospital and it doesn't look like I will make it, forget about calling in the kids and the family. First, go get me a Coke (Glass Bottle) and a Snickers bar. Then we can talk about family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home